Bantu case thrown out

6

MASERU — The Vodacom Soccer Spectacular management committee on Monday threw out an appeal by Bantu to nullify their quarter final tie against LCS after the latter allegedly fielded an ineligible player.

But by yesterday, the club officials were still undecided whether to appeal after their case was thrown out on Monday night.

Bantu officials were due to meet last night to decide if they were going to lodge an appeal. The club had until this morning to lodge their appeal to the management committee.

“We are going to meet. At the same time we don’t want to confuse the players by going on with appeals and cases before we play the second leg,” Bokang Phasumane, Bantu communications and marketing manager told the Lesotho Times yesterday.

“We haven’t met to take a decision, we will meet today (Wednesday) in the evening. We have a strong case,” he added.

Bantu lodged a protest with the Vodacom Soccer Spectacular management committee last Tuesday accusing LCS of fielding Thulo Ranchobe whom they said was ineligible to take part in the tournament.

Ranchobe was sent off when A Matšo Matebele and LCS met in the Independence Cup final on October 15.

Bantu said they received a communiqué that listed Ranchobe as banned.

According to the regulations LCS was liable to forfeiting the game 3-0 if they were found guilty.

However, speaking to the Lesotho Times yesterday Vodacom Soccer Spectacular management committee chair, Tlholo Letete, said Bantu’s case had been off the mark.

“The case was the thrown out in terms of article 6.1 (of the regulations). Bantu can appeal the decision. They have until tomorrow (Thursday) morning to appeal,” Letete said.

According to article 6.1 yellow and red cards suspensions can only be carried from the Vodacom Premier League and Vodacom A-Division matches.

The Independence Cup game in question fell outside this.

Bantu’s second leg against LCS has been moved to November 20 meanwhile because of the Lesotho senior side’s match with the Democratic Republic of Congo on Sunday.

Both Bantu and LCs have three players in the squad. The match was due to be played on Sunday with the sides deadlocked at 0-0.

Also postponed because of Likuena’s match is the potentially mammoth tie between Matlama and Lioli.

Matlama won the first leg 1-0 in Teyateyaneng a fortnight ago and the match was due to be played at Setsoto Stadium this Saturday.

It means the only second leg quarterfinal second legs to be played this weekend are Majantja against LDF and Linare facing Maduma.

Majantja welcome LDF to Mohale’s Hoek on Saturday hoping to turn around a 2-1 deficit from the first leg.

On Sunday Linare take a 1-0 lead into the tie with Maduma.

Share.

About Author

Lesotho’s widely read newspaper, published every Thursday and distributed throughout the country and in some parts of South Africa.

Contact us today: News: editor@lestimes.co.ls Advertising: marketing@lestimes.co.ls Telephone: +266 2231 5356

Comments are closed.