Dance fete to happen at last

0

MASERU — Finally, the Second Open Queen ‘Masenate Dance Competition is set to happen this Saturday.

The tournament, initially slated for June 6, had to be postponed after the Lesotho Dancesport Association (Ledasa) failed to raise funds to host its flagship competition.

However, this time round Ledasa has received M50 000 from the Lesotho Sports and Recreation Commission (LSRC) to fund the fete.

The LSRC has been battling to fund its operations and affiliates because of the problems encountered with the government’s new financial management system.

“The competition is going on as planned,” Mathibeli Mokhele, Ledasa’s public relations officer, told the Weekender this week.

“Luckily, the commission managed to sort out its house and gave us the money to host this event.”

The competition is held annually to mark Queen ‘Masenate Mohato Seeiso’s birthday.

She was born on June 2, 1976.

Ledasa started hosting the fete in 2005 but only opened it to other countries last year.

Mokhele said three countries have already confirmed their participation at this year’s open.

“We have so far received confirmation letters from Botswana, Swaziland and South Africa,” he said.

“We are still unsure about Namibia’s participation because they have not sent us their confirmation.”

Mokhele said Lesotho dancers were ready to defend the title they won last year.

The Maluti Dancesport Club pair of Thuloane Tséhlo and Ntsoaki Ntlaloe won the main prize.

Mokhele said his association was uncertain about the number of dancers that will represent Lesotho on Saturday.

He however was worried that the postponement of the gala could have a negative impact on attendance.

Share.

About Author

Lesotho’s widely read newspaper, published every Thursday and distributed throughout the country and in some parts of South Africa.

Contact us today: News: editor@lestimes.co.ls Advertising: marketing@lestimes.co.ls Telephone: +266 2231 5356

Comments are closed.