MASERU — Popular musician Fatere is back in the studio, barely two months after he lost a thumb in a freak accident on New Year’s Eve.
The afro-jazz artist, whose real name is Sechaba Litabe, was working on two albums when his thumb was blown away by a firecracker.
Fatere, however, told the Weekender this week that he had resumed a fortnight ago working on one of the albums — a gospel CD.
The album was initially scheduled for release last month.
The other album, a jazz project, was expected to be on the market in April but will be delayed as well.
The 2007 and 2008 Lesotho Haeso Music Jazz Musician of the Year said he was recovering well although he was still using only one hand when playing instruments.
“There is something I am doing right now with one hand,” Fatere said in reference to the gospel album he is working on.
“I started working on the album, which was initially scheduled for release last month, two weeks ago.”
He said progress on the recording was slower because he was using one hand.
“Tsoelo-pele e butlenyana (The progress is slower) because I am using one instead of two hands,” he said.
Fatere, meanwhile, said doctors were satisfied with his recovery.
His last check-up was at Berea Hospital last Thursday where the dressing on his injured hand was removed.
“Doctors are satisfied with my healing progress — so am I,” Fatere said.
Fatere’s first album, the gospel CD Nyeloi la Lefu, was released in 2004.
The second, Ke Seoli, is a jazz album that shot him to national stardom when it was released in 2007.