LCD members ‘identify’ attacker in parade

0

 

’Marafaele Mohloboli

TWO Lesotho Congress for Democracy (LCD) members, say they identified one of their alleged police attackers during an identity parade held at Lesotho Correctional Services in Hlotse, Leribe.

LCD Koro-Koro constituency #42 deputy chairperson Sentle ’Molotsi and Tšeliso Busa claim they were assaulted by police officers on 12 February 2016 for supporting Deputy Prime Minister Mothetjoa Metsing.

According to Mr ’Molotsi, while they were driving in a convoy to a launch event for an LCD promotional music album, they decided to stop at a shop in Hlotse for refreshments.

At the shop, he said, they were confronted by police officers who quizzed them about their political allegiances.

“They asked us why we were following Metsing when he was such a corrupt leader, and I told them that I could choose any leader I wanted,” Mr ’Molotsi said.

“I also told them that their leader in Ficksburg (All Basotho Convention leader Thomas Thabane) was the one who was corrupt. After I said that, all hell broke loose and they started assaulting us.”

Mr ’Molotsi said they sustained multiple injuries during the attack, adding that he was admitted to Motebang Hospital while Mr Busa was treated as an outpatient.

“I don’t know how I ended up at the hospital, because I ran from the assailants to my bakkie with blood oozing from one of my eyes and ears,” Mr ’Molotsi pensively reminisced.

“I couldn’t breathe properly, and eventually passed out. The last thing I remember is losing control of the car, only to wake up the next morning on a hospital bed.”

Following the assault, LCD deputy leader Tšeliso Mokhosi and Secretary-General Selibe Mochoboroane reported the matter to Assistant Police Commissioner Tšeliso Moerane, who is in charge of the northern region.

Mr Mochoboroane told the Lesotho Times last month that they reported the matter to Assistant Commissioner Moerane.

“We met Ntate Moerane to discuss the matter and left the issue in his hands,” said Mr Mochoboroane.

Meanwhile, according to police spokesperson Senior Inspector Clifford Molefe, the LCD members were asked to identify suspects who were lined up during an identity parade last Thursday.

“An identification parade was held at the Lesotho Correctional Services premises on Thursday but I can’t give more information on how it went and if there were positive identifications because that would jeopardise police investigations which are still on-going,” said Sen Insp Molefe.

However, Mr ’Molotsi said they only positively identified one alleged assailant.

“Even though we were assaulted by many people, we only managed to identify one person positively and I should admit that it was not easy because we had to be precise and not make presumptions.

“I hope the one we recognised will reveal the identities of his partners in crime so they also face justice,” Mr ’Molotsi said, adding that he was yet to fully recover from the attack.

Share.

About Author

Lesotho's widely read newspaper, published every Thursday and distributed throughout the country and in some parts of South Africa. Contact us today: News: editor@lestimes.co.ls Advertising: marketing@lestimes.co.ls Telephone: +266 2231 5356

Leave A Reply