Mosotho faces multiple murder charges in SA

0

 

Keiso Mohloboli

A MOSOTHO man is in custody in Kestell, South Africa facing multiple charges of murder following the disappearances of over 20 people.

Letsema Molefe (32) from Pae-la-itlhatsoa in Mokhotlong is accused of killing women and children from Lesotho and South Africa, before burying them in shallow graves at the Geduld farm he worked outside Kestell.

He was arrested early this month and appeared before the Kestell Magistrate’s Court on 4 November 2015 for a bail hearing. During the hearing, members of the African National Congress Women’s League picketed the courthouse demanding that Molefe be remanded until the date of his trial.

However, the suspected serial killer requested the court not to grant him bail, citing his safety as reason. According to the QwaQwa Express, Molefe was remanded to 3 December 2015.

Contacted for comment yesterday, South African Police Service spokesperson for Qwaqwa, Sergeant ‘Mako Mophiring, said Molefe had been working at Geduld Farm and staying in a farm house since 2008. Sgt Mophiring said Molefe had been linked to the disappearances of more than 20 people, adding that investigations were still ongoing.

“According to what the police found, Molefe mutilated all his female victims and removed their wombs,” he said.

Sgt Mophiring said two local men who visited the farm looking for steel to sell at a nearby scrap yard became suspicious after they encountered a “bad smell” and saw a lot of flies in the area.

“Upon further investigation, they made a gruesome discovery of two corpses,” he said.

“And when Molefe, who was also there, realised that his secret had been uncovered, he ran away. The men reported the matter to the police, and Molefe was later arrested at Carletonville.”

Forensic experts, Sgt Mophiring said, were busy investigating whether the victims were all women.

“Without going into too much detail, the police so far have identified one victim from in Qwaqwa and the two others from Malingoaneng and a three-year old girl. The forensic experts are also carrying out tests to identify the mother of the infant.”

Meanwhile, Malingoaneng constituency Member of Parliament, Serialong Qoo, yesterday told the Lesotho Times the suspect would entice unsuspecting victims with job offers in QwaQwa.

“The man would visit his home village during the holiday periods and on month-ends and promise the victims job opportunities in SA,” he said.

“The man would approach people who already knew him and where he came from. Most of the time, he targeted women and took them to the farm in QwaQwa.”

Mr Qoo added: “I have asked the government and the National Assembly to assist families of the victims bring back their children from SA for proper burials as soon as the police are done with their investigations.”

Share.

About Author

Lesotho's widely read newspaper, published every Thursday and distributed throughout the country and in some parts of South Africa. Contact us today: News: editor@lestimes.co.ls Advertising: marketing@lestimes.co.ls Telephone: +266 2231 5356

Leave A Reply